Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Scoop: July - Out of Stock

It occurred to me right after the 48 hour film festival came and went that we didn't really have any other projects lined up. Thanks to a terrible June in my personal life, there still isn't anything in the works. But let's talk about it.



48 Hour Film Project

Our film team participated in our first ever film festival, the "48 Hour Film Project, Minneapolis." Every competing team had 48 hours to write, shoot, edit, and turn in a movie with various requirements. We had 25 minutes to spare when I dropped off the final copy. 

Stranger Things Studio Think Tank.  First night of the festival.
Photo Courtesy of Laura Biebl Photography
 A week and a half later all of the movies were screened at the Riverview Theater in south Minneapolis. That was a cool experience - seeing our own movie up on the silver screen, seeing all our friends and family that came to watch and support us. Pretty awesome.

Sadly, we did not advance past the initial screening, but it was great experience. On the bright side, it means I was able to put up a trailer and the director's cut earlier. In the next week I will also release a Gag Reel, and that will be that I suppose.


Gauntlet Deathmatch

Some of you may remember mention of a movie filmed way back in November that hasn't seen the light of day. Even more of you might remember a trailer on our YouTube channel back in May for "Gauntlet: Deathmatch." Yeah, about that....
Only.... not June 2013
Believe it or not, Gauntlet will not be coming out this June (it's July now). July isn't looking likely either. In fact, until I am certain of a release date, I will not bring the movie up again. I don't want to keep misleading everyone.

Here's the problem: It's an awesome movie, and the special effects are crazy! However, that means it takes a lot of work. Quite often I have to go frame by frame to program the visuals. Doing that, especially in the more intense scenes, equals out to be about one hour of work for every second of footage.

The movie is ten minutes long.....(10 minutes = 600 seconds = 600 hours of work = 15 40-hour work weeks) ....  yeah, it's going to be awhile. 

In the meantime, I will have to come up with something to keep our page and channel active. Production photos, Director's Notes... I don't know... another movie (yeah, that's probably not a bad idea). 

I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment