Monday, February 4, 2013

The Scoop: February - Hiatus?


Let's just get right down to it.  

Status report:  I don't know if there's going to be a February movie.  I have tried my darnedest, but it almost seems destine not to happen.  To a point, a month "off" wouldn't be a bad thing.  I have plenty of back-log, studio stuff to get caught up on, and I could use a break.  At the same time though, the goal is a movie a month - a "goal," not a "requirement," but I really wish I can make it happen. 


Planetoid

Idea #1 was a story of a group of guys inside a tank-like machine on a super small planet.  To do it the way I wanted to requires green screen, graphic design, some cardboard and paper-mache construction, and a fake (albeit small) set.  Ultimately, I didn't have the time frame to pull it off.


Ice Troll

Idea #2.  A wary band of travelers cut across a frozen lake to save time.  Instead, they run into a huge ice troll.

Strangely, not that complicated, believe it or not.  Some green screen.  The biggest hang ups were the idea of filming outside in the winter, and costumes.  The plot suggests a medieval get-up for the characters; that might have been tricky.

To my continual surprise and delight, I had enough people sign on to pull it off.  However, I couldn't get a babysitter for the day, and had to cancel.  I'm not bringing a 5-month old out on the ice to freeze for half a day.  In a way, I'm glad we didn't all get stuck freezing on the ice.  It would have been a cool movie though.


LEGO CTF

Oh well, film inside on my own then.  What could I possibly do?  I know!  A still image LEGO Capture the Flag flick.  It would cut from still image to still image like old Nintendo game cut-scenes!!  Awesome.

I did some test footage.  It took an hour to create what boiled down to be 8 seconds.  Multiply that out to a two minute movie.  Add sound effects, voice over, etc.  and send it to Randy in time to write music to match it.  There's just no way I could pull it off and do it justice.

As it stands, nothing for February has been filmed.  I have yet another movie idea that I think I can pull off in one evening, cut the next, and have well on its way before release in two weeks.  I'm not promising anything at this point, though. 

Cross your fingers.

And hopefully some of those other ideas will reappear in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment