Friday, May 4, 2012

Prometheus


I don’t remember exactly how this all came about.  Awhile back I was contacted by a man named Michael Fassbender and asked if I was interested in being a part of a paid film studio internship. 

I don’t know what put my name on the radar; maybe my technical theater and creative writing on my Macalester College transcript; or the manuscript I had submitted to various publishers over the last two years; or hell, even this blog and my YouTube channel.  Regardless, my name, portfolio, and passion for film and story creation caught their attention.

Fassbender had been casted by a well known director by the name of Ridley Scott (responsible for such films as Alien, Gladiator, and Blade Runner) for a new project.  You probably know Michael best as Magneto from X-men: First Class.  With this new film, Ridley Scott had a program he wanted to implement wherein several interns would be brought onboard to learn the many facets of film making - be it on set, postproduction, or even onscreen.  How cool is that?

Mike was put in charge of selecting interns.  Despite the pit in my stomach, when Mike asked if I wanted to be a part of the project, I jumped on it immediately.


I flew out to California, where the studio was gathering everyone before we boarded the private planes bound for Iceland.  It wasn’t until were airborne that I realized just how intimate of an experience this was going to be.  The core group of people I would be involved with was no more than fifteen people or so.  We were going to be set up in a lodge outside Vatnajokull National Park.  After a full day of work, it would be just our small group hanging out together, which by the way was an amazing experience.


It wasn’t all fun and games though either.  Sometimes we were looking at 16 hour days.  All of us were given a cell phone, which we primarily used as a pager.  At any given moment it could go off, requiring that we meet Mike down in the lobby for the next session of our internship, or something unexpected pertaining to the production at hand.  Some days I wanted to smash the damn thing.  I was never in the army, but it was a schedule I imagine new recruits suffered, where constant drills kept sleep just out of reach at all times.

The first day of the internship, we were actually at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England.  Technical departments were already set up, building small hydraulic equipment that would be used to animate alien creatures as they ripped out of the actors’ chests...

I suppose I should mention that Ridley Scott was intending to revitalize the Alien franchise.  This movie, Prometheus, was to be the first of several prequels.  I loved the movies… well the first three anyways, but let’s remember that I’m a chicken-shit.  Mike and I didn’t go on the set that morning, but he did bring me by the security monitors, where I could see the steam vents spilling fog into the moist, black corridors of the alien world that we would be performing in.  That’s right, “we.” Along with getting to help behind the camera, I was also casted in a supporting role.

I’m sure Mike watched me go pale; he probably expected, too, because at that point he gave me the “blue pill / red pill” speech: This was what it was all about, how scary it would be, how stressful and intense.  He was offering me the experience of my lifetime, but I had to decide then and there if I was onboard for the whole thing or not.


I knew I was going to be plagued with nightmares, that I would suffer honest-to-god fear as I walked on the set and confronted creatures that scared the crap out of me when they were just on the TV screen; this time it would be in person!  I honestly didn’t know if I could push away all defense instincts, much less my self-doubt at participating in something this far out of my league amongst a team of veterans and professionals.  Still, I said yes, and maybe that’s what makes the difference between the people who make and the people who don’t.

During Mike’s downtime between sets he was introducing me to people assigned to different aspects of the movie - lighting, sound, blocking, acting, story boarding, timing, organization, whatever.  It was the most rewarding experience an aspiring movie maker could hope have.  You learn so much, and become connected with so many passionate and supportive people.

It’s a part of my life that I could only have hoped to dream of…

Which is exactly what it was, because halfway through production I woke up to realize none of that had happened.

Boy, that blog must have been a letdown for you to read…

Yeah, just imagine how I feel…

There’s nothing like starting a day by getting up in time to watch a good portion of your soul writhe in a fractured dream and die…

Do you go back to sleep then, or just make yourself a pot of coffee and get the day over with?

--

On a related note, I can’t wait to see Prometheus when it comes out June 8th!  I’m curious to see how well it turned out without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment