Sunday, June 29, 2014

"Campground Creeper" - Director's Notes

For the 2013 "48 Hour Film Project: Minneapolis," we created a short movie called, "Campground Creeper."    We had 48 hours from the moment we received the film's criteria to write it, shoot it, edit it, and turn it in. 

Criteria:
 - Genre: Buddy Film
 - Character: Bobby (or Betty) Bulmer, the Farmer / Gardener
 - Prop: A lamp
 - Line of Dialogue: "She told me it's a secret."

According to the rules, the movie had to be between 4-7 minutes long, not including credits.  Unfortunately, the film was originally 47 seconds too long, and I had to cut out a good deal of the ending.

This is that Director's Cut.

The only major change is the addition of the parking lot sequence at the end of the movie.  Otherwise, I cleaned up the sound a bit, and altered the length of some shots for better pacing.



Don't forget to check out the trailer and gag reel:
Trailer: Watch on YouTube
Gag Reel: Watch on YouTube

Director's Notes: The Long Short of It

I sat on this director's notes for a long time because there simply is too much to talk about.  I also felt that I had over-saturated our channel with everything going on.  It was an exciting and eventful time for Stranger Things Studios.  A new movie, our first film competition, a screening at the Riverview Theater in Minneapolis.  Wow. 

I imagine the biggest curiosity is how it played out.  How does the 48-Hour Film Project work?  How did we go about doing it?  I'll break down the play-by-play as well as I can remember.

The team meets up at base to start brainstorming
Friday, May 31st, 5:30pm - I left work and drove through rush-hour traffic to the Crooked Pint Ale House, downtown Minneapolis.  A member of our team (me) had to be there to check in by 6:30.  Up until this moment, teams were not allowed to do anything in preparation outside of gather teammates, get equipment and secure a place to film.  A week prior our team had met at Applebees to go over the guidelines, the possible genres, and devise a plan of attack.

7:00pm - The 48-Hour Film Project kick-off event began.  This is when we finally got our packets that gave us all the criteria for the film.  Everyone had the same requirements, except for the genre.  That we pulled out of a hat.  The criteria was short, but as follows:

Criteria:
 - 4-7 minute movie
 - Character: Bobby (or Betty) Bulmer, the Farmer / Gardener
 - Prop: A lamp
 - Line of Dialogue: "She told me it's a secret."

The genre that I pulled out of the hat was "Buddy Film."

7:30pm - I fly out of the Crooked Pint like a bat out of hell.  I have two major stops before meeting up with the team: 1.) Home, for the equipment, 2) Chipolte.

8:30-9:00-ish p.m.  - We all arrive at one of our teammate’s house and get to work.  Much to their frustrated anticipation, I withheld all information regarding our criteria until everyone was there.

We workshopped the script well into the early morning.  In all my years of writing, I don't think I've ever really collaborated on a piece before.  It involves a rotation of people walking away and taking a mental break and coming back again.  Eventually, only about two or three of us were writing.  Otherwise were calling parks for hours and prices.  In that span I went for two short jogs, and took care of a pot of coffee mostly on my own.

Most of us crashed there.  In fact, if we ever do this again, I think I'd make that a requirement.  You'll understand why as I go on.

Saturday, June 1st, 4:00am? - Seeing how I have the computer, I am the last one up.  I email the script to myself and upload it on my phone.   I then take a picture of the team passed out on the couches and the floor, and go to sleep myself.

6:00am - Why?  Maybe it was 6:30 or even 7:00, but still!  We get up.  Adam (Bobby Bulmer) and Laura (our photographer) arrive on time.  We drag ourselves up and get moving, load up the vehicles, and caffeinate the hell out of ourselves.

At this point in time, we don't have a set place to shoot.  We do however, have several parks in mind.  It was our plan to hit them up one-by-one until we found one.  Some of them didn't open until later, which didn't work for us.  I don't remember why the others didn't work; they just didn't.

We found ourselves heading all the way out to Taylor's Falls (a good 1-2 hour drive north) before we settled on a location.

Somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00am - We arrive at the park we ultimately film at and pay for a campsite. 

This is where things start to go amiss.  One of our teammates went home the night before to crash, and to find an old crumby tent we could destroy doing the shoot.  He was going to meet up with us a little later in the morning. 

Two problems came out of this. First off, we were out of cell-phone range, so getting a hold of him was damn near impossible.  Secondly, once we did get a hold of him he broke the bad news:  he didn't find the tent.  By then we were already checked-in at B.F.E., which made getting another tent a time-consuming process.  He did, however, have his good tent.  Unfortunately, we couldn't destroy that one, so we quickly tried to rewrite the script on the spot.

11:00am - Action! - I don't remember how involved our script was.  All I know is that the night before I figured out that if we started filming by 9, we would have a hour to shoot each scene.  We weren't ready to start filming until 11:00 or later.  By 1:30 we had only finished 2 or 3 scenes.   We weren't catching up, and the off-and-on rain was making filming difficult.

Stretching out for the first scene, which was actually the last scene.
I was beginning to think we weren't going to be able to pull this thing off, and  that we would have to drop out.  Well, after walking off for 15 minutes to gather my wits, I returned to the set.  Along with a verbal slapping from Caitlin and Laura telling me "dammit, pull yourself together!" we rewrote the script again.  We cut out several scenes, blended others together, and got back to shooting.

By the time we were done and packed up it was between 6:00 and 7:00pm.

Let's say 8:00ish - Half-Time.  We return to base in St. Paul.  Some people dipped out and went home.  The rest of us headed to IHOP for dinner.  Tom had been adamant about getting food from the moment we left the campgrounds, and I knew if I didn't eat with everyone else I wasn't going to get around to it.

We gorged ourselves on breakfast food while we watching some of the footage.  As we laughed our asses off it became clear (if not insisted) that I needed to make a gag reel when this was all done.

9:00pm - The team breaks up.  Everyone goes home.  Now it's just down to me and our composer Randy out in Rhode Island to edit the film.

Sunday, June 2nd, 3:00am - I finish the rough cut of the movie.  It's still a little too long, but I can't stay away anymore.  At Midnight, when I finished the first cut of the film, it came in over 10 minutes.  Getting it down to just under 8 was impressive.  The last 45 seconds would have to wait until 9:00am.

9:00am - Time to get up.... yeah, that didn't happen.

10:30am - My wife kicks me out of bed and I get back to work.  Just like Santa, Randy did his thing and when I turned on my computer I had several music tracks sitting in my inbox.

4:00pm - 2 hours to go - I finish editing the movie.  At this point I'm waiting for it to finish rendering.  When the movie was down to 7:45 minutes it was, as far as I was concern, complete.  It could not get any shorter without losing some key part of the movie.  Unfortunately, I had to cut something.  So, for the competition, I cut the ending escape sequence and shortened some earlier shots.  When I went ahead and released the movie on YouTube, I put up that original cut.  I was not going to over saturate the channel with a trailer, a theatrical cut, a director's cut, and a gag reel.

6:20pm - 10 minutes to spare - I arrive at the Crooked Pint Ale House and drop off our submission.  We did it!  We were successful entrants into the 48-Hour Film Project.

It was amazing to see our movie on the big screen.  It was cool to see what other, more professionally trained teams had done; and it was heartening to know that our own movie looked to be of the same caliber.  Almost all of the winners from the competition came out of our screening group.  I would like to think that that's why we did not get to advance.  After all, we were screened with the best of the best.  Who can compete with that?

If there's one thing I took away from the experience it is having learned how to create a movie in a single weekend.  That's invaluable.  Most of the movies I've made have run longer than I wanted them to, or took forever to plan, or forever to edit.  Doing the 48HFP showed me that it's possible, and not necessarily hard, to have that kind of turnaround with a film.  It all comes down to the initial conception, and keeping the whole project in mind as you go.

Outside the Riverview Theater before the screening of our movie.
Only about half of us are pictured here.
L to R: Charlie, Jon (kneeing), Tom, Caitlin, Laura, Erica


No comments:

Post a Comment