Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Scoop - January 2013: Crashed


I’ve been holding out on this post for awhile because I’ve been waiting for something positive to happen.  The Bad News:  my computer crashed, bringing all Stranger Things production to a screeching halt. 

And I mean crashed - like Geek Squad says it’d be better just to buy a new computer; crashed, like I pulled the hard drive to rescue files and found the drive has completely seized up.  Everything on it is gone.  It would cost anywhere from $300 to $1600 to get it back! 

I lost a lot of the scripts I had been working on; a bunch of documents on the business end of Stranger Things Studios; and the massive sound FX folio I had been building.  Up until this Monday I thought I had lost a large chunk of personal files, including the 1200 photos I took on my family’s 2011 Alaska trip.

In short, I’ve been devastated, and without a computer powerful enough to run my editing software, I was afraid I would have to put S.T.S. on an indefinite hiatus.

Finally, the Good News!  I’m not a complete idiot; all movie footage is back-up, as well as any progress I’ve made thus far.  I just can’t do anything with it at the moment.  To my joyous disbelieve, I accidentally found a DVD I thought I never burned with all my Alaska files.  After ripping apart my house for flash-drives, I’ve recovered a great deal of personal files.  Finally, I have a handful the my STS files printed out.  STS can be rebuild. 

On set for January's new movie!
I’m not happy about it, but it can be done.  It just takes time.

Sometimes knowing that a lot of people are riding on my determination to keep things going is overwhelming.  However, in times like these that hopefulness and support is what keeps me from quitting.  Also, having a wife to admonish me when I’m ready to say “screw it” is an amazing foundation to have to fall back on.  I’ve been informed - in so many words - that getting a new computer isn’t up for debate.  The show must go on.

We may be listing for a few weeks, but we are back on track, and I am more determined than ever to push the envelope.  In record time we have filmed a replacement for January’s film.  It will be released on time, the third Friday of this month, January 18th.  Another movie is well into filming, and several movies are in the planning.  We’re looking into film competitions, festivals, and other ways to give ourselves exposure and network with others in the field.

I’m pumped to get back in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment