Friday, November 23, 2012

STS - Ninja Range


Some dude finds a lost plasma rifle just laying around.  If only there was something to shoot at… 


Director’s Notes

There’s not much to say about “Ninja Range.”  It was filmed spur of the moment one day after Charlie and I finished location scouting out in Somerset, Wisconsin.  I already had the rifle in the back of my blazer to show off, as well as the camera.  We found the closest park to us.  It took us no longer than 30 minutes to film.


I have some epic movie ideas that I’d like to film.  I know how to go about making them in theory.  There are aspects of each that I’ve never experimented with, or some that I lack the resources that I’d need to pull them off.

The biggest two building blocks to everything I want to do are green-screen, and gunfire.  We had our fun with green screen during “Motorstorm: Duel Drive.”  All I need now is a larger one.

As for gunfire, I don’t have the software I need to make fake muzzle flares, bullet impacts, and blood splatter.  However, I did find that a lens flare effect, if altered enough, looked a lot like a plasma bolt.

Only one way to know if it would work for sure!

“Ninja Range” was meant as test footage (which is why it’s so short), but after messing with it I realized I had a fun little video.  Clean it up, add some credits, and bam!  Done.

I still can’t make normal gunfire, but I can make futuristic gunfire!  It’s a start.  We’ve already filmed something far more impressive with tons of it in it.  I can’t wait to start editing it!  That movie is tentatively slated for January.

“Ninja Range” is also another experiment of sorts.  I have gotten in touch with a guy named Randy Miller out on the east coast who has signed on to compose something for the next few movies.  Up until now I’ve been stuck with royalty-free music that is usually repetitive, with no themes or progression.  Having someone on-board with like-minded interest in soundtrack composers is an amazing asset. 

Ninja on set
As much as “Ninja Range” was an opportunity for me to try out some stuff, it worked as a warm-up for Randy as well, and a chance for us develop a system for how to go about incorporating a soundtrack into a film.  I’m excited to see how much that adds to the upcoming movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment