Monday, April 16, 2012

Fallout Week


Fallout 3 is one of the most revered video games of this console generation.  It is a first-person shooter that takes place decades after World War III has turned the planet into a nuclear wasteland.  Many gamers love the vastness of world because if you’re not careful you can easily dump 70+ hours into the game aimlessly meandering the devastation.  Hell, that’s what I did.

This game showed me just how warped and scarred my moral core is.  Fallout 3 is one of those games that is not linear.  You have choices.  Your words and your actions all have ramifications.  Everything you do changes the outcome of the game.  Knowing this, I determined to play the game as though my character was actually me

So, what would JonnyDStrong do? (WWJDSD?... Hmm, I like it.)

What I found out about myself was both amusing and disturbing…


BOMB HOSTAGE

Here’s one quick example as a teaser of this week’s posts:

I happen across a man at night who is standing perfectly still out in the middle of nowhere.  Upon approaching him, he shouts out in hysterics, “Please, you have to help me!  ‘They’ strapped a bomb to my chest.  I’m going to die!  Oh god, you have to do something.”

I have no expertise in defusing bombs… at all.  In fact, he would live longer if I just left him alone.  Or he could die a more peaceful death if I secretly shot him from a distance after feigning to leave.  However, in that moment I felt bad just abandoning him, so I fiddle with the straps.

“Oh my god!” he screams. “It’s going to blow!”

And he runs off over the nearest hill.  All I can do is stand there, watching dumbfounded as he vanishes from sight.  A dull explosion goes off, and wisps of smoke lift into the air.

Oops…    

---

That, however, is nothing compared to my involvement at Tenpenny Tower, or Megaton for that matter...

Oh yeah, and my End Game...

No comments:

Post a Comment