Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lick the Dream Storm


My last blog-post explained a fun way to make a poem by writing something and then letting an online translator chew it up.  As promised, I did the exercise myself, and got two awesome poems out of it.  Here ya go!


First of all, if you need a refresher on how this works, read my post on how to write a fun poem.

I started off by writing an actual poem.  Honestly, I didn’t put a lot of thought into it.  I came up with it in the time it took me to take a shower.  It’s a simple concept (not wanting to get up), set roughly to the meter of my wife’s all-time favorite song, Days Like These by Smash Mouth.


Hit the Snooze

Just chilling in my bedroom.  Can’t make myself up.
Alarm’s beeping on like crazy.
And my wife’s shaking me 
  and pushing me and telling me its time to move my butt.

I hit the snooze. 
Nevermind that I set it.  
  Or that I planned it.  Or that I wanted to get up.
I hit the snooze.
Cause I’m warm and I’m lazy inside my bed.

Staying up past midnight.  Just working on my stuff.
Said I’d start up again real early.
But after four hours of sleeping it’s just not enough.

I hit the snooze.
I don’t care the dog’s barking, 
  or that she’s hungry, or that she’s licking my face.
I hit the snooze.
Cause taking a shower’s too much work to do.

Blew half the morning sleeping.  So much for jumping on that list.
Dreamed a zombie on a segue,
And slept through storms and tornados, 
  earthquakes and a burglary and all that bliss.

But now I can’t find the snooze.
And pretend it never happened, 
  because the phone won’t shut off, and I can’t stop it.
Can’t feel the snooze.
Because then I’d have to open my eyes.  Man, I don’t sleep enough.


 
I ran “Hit the Snooze” through the same 12 languages I listed before, deleted random words, changed some tenses, etc, etc.  In short, cleaned it up.  The end result is a poem that has nothing to do with the original poem.  

I picked something out of it that struck me as a good title, and here you go:



Lick the Dream Storm

What we have in his room a person is not allowed.
The warning for this problem.
His wife shakes me, moves my ass, and pushes me.

I now press the alarm.
It will definitely be. 
Or what to do? 
To determine whether it is necessary.
We have to move slowly into the hot bed.

In the first night, work only.  Do not short circuit.
But after four hours of sleep, enough!

I now press the alarm.
We must remember that I do not have to lick it, or famine.
There should be a lot of work to confirm the price.

Not being able to sleep for half a day. 
If you want to move many people add it to the list, too.
I look at the zombie, followed by a
Dream storm, tornado, earthquake, theft some will.

But I can sleep now.
So I can be by the telephone; It was not far away.
Please do not take a nap.
You can open your eyes here. 
People are not getting enough sleep.


By the way, my wife hates that song.  Probably because of me.  :-D 

No comments:

Post a Comment